Thread: X11 Window Manager Future

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

X11 Window Manager Future

Does anyone know if X11 is going to be included as an alternative in 24.04?
    The reason I ask is that I still find X11 a far smoother and snappier experience than Wayland.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: X11 Window Manager Future

I'm pretty sure it is still included in Noble-24.04 though for the standard Ubuntu system I think wayland is the default.
    I steer away from anything to do with gnome so I haven't even tried Ubuntu 24.04 as I do just about all the other versions of Noble some of which don't yet offer wayland as an option at login.

I don't think you need to worry just yet, though in future, who knows!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks Ajgreeny. I'm pleased about that. Wayland may well have improved in 24.04 so I may go with it on my Intel based system, but for now Wayland just feels a bit clunky compared to X11.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Noble 24.04 still has X11.

X11 is not going away soon. Even though people talk about it from time to time. Wayland is an alternative to X11, but still not a full replacement. There are still many things that can only be done with X11, that Wayland does not do. For example, X-Forwarding for running applications from remote computers, screen recording, and screen casting. Wayland’s minimal core protocols are lacking most of the features that non-trivial apps and desktops actually need to work–such as screen locking, screen sharing, cross-app window activation, non-integer scaling, and so on.

Another is running GUI X applications for Windows WSLg. ... But that is rather using "Weston" as the main compositor for Wayland... And is not straight forward to install and configure on that platform.

Next is how the native installed application are written to display. There are not a lot of Native Wayland applications. Most applications are still written to default display from X11. Most people do not realize that an application that is not written to display natively as Wayland runs through XWayland, which allows those legacy applications to still run on top of Xorg server, but display in a Wayland session. <-- So uses both Graphics Engines.

Yes. It is still a thing that is being worked on... That started and is still being developed by X Dev's.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 19th, 2024 at 08:20 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you for your explanation